Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Easy pie!

I found a recipe little over a month ago for Baked Cherry Pies at Heather's Dish and I had to try it. I went out a week later and I bought everything I'd need to make them. I used black cherries instead of regular cherries and it was sweet! Oh my gosh, I hadn't had anything that awesome in ages! After those were gone, I made mini peach pies. Those, did not turn out quite so well. The peaches were still firm and it didn't taste very pie like.


After that small failure, I tried them again, this time with frozen blueberries. The dough on the bottom of the pie-pocket was almost raw and goopey, and I was a little disappointed. But, they were still gone in a matter of an hour. My aunt was there, and she wanted the recipe so she could try them when she got home.

A week later, I got a called from her, telling me how she'd modified the recipe. Instead of fresh fruit, she used the canned pie filling. She flattened them out a little more, and egg washed the dough on both inside and out to help keep the dough closed. So, my happy little self had to go and try it this way. I bought a can of sugar free cherry pie filling, egg washed the dough, and mmm they are great! And they stayed closed! That is what's best of all.

My picture sucks. No matter how many times I took it I ended up shaking.

So, for the version of this wonderful and awesome mini pie recipe I made, all you will need is:
  • 1 can fruit pie filling of choice
  • 1 can (Grands or generic equivalent) biscuits
  • 1 egg
  • sugar for sprinkling on top
  • small amount of flour for dusting counter top/rolling pin
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Sprinkle counter with flour and roll out biscuits to a 1/4 inch thickness (or if you want to be daring, try to get it thinner, it'll give you more area to work with!)
  3. Beat 1 egg to use as a wash
  4. Brush wash along edge of dough
  5. Scoop 1 - 2 tbsp of pie filling into center of biscuit
  6. Fold dough in half and crimp edge shut with fork
  7. Place on baking sheet and brush tops and edges with egg wash
  8. Sprinkle tops with sugar
  9. Bake in oven for 30 minutes
  10. Cool for a few (or ten) minutes
  11. Enjoy!

Serve with ice cream or eat alone. Its good either way. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment