Thursday, April 21, 2011

Birthday cake ala box


I'm behind on updating this blog. I'm a horrible wretched person, I know. April 10th was the BirdDaddy's birthday. As you can see, he's the big 2-9. He says he's old. If he'd old, then I'm old. I'm a month older than he is! I refuse to be old. Despite the gray hair that has begun to sprout up on our head, we are not old!

So what did we do for his big day? We sat around and played video games, watched movies, and pigged out on awesome food. What else is there to do when there's nasty, dark clouds looming in the distance and a soggy ground? We couldn't take the Birdies outside to play. We couldn't even sit out on the balcony without getting wet. And lets not forget the cold! Where did all of this cold come from?! We had eighty degree weather that over night became frigid! Sometimes I have to agree with BirdDaddy, Illinois is nothing but a corn desert. Its just insane!

The day before BD's B-Day, I set about making his cake. He's pretty easy to bake for. He loves his yellow cake with chocolate frosting. What's best, is he doesn't like anything fussy. So, it was box mix for the win! Cheating I know, but its what he likes. There's not much to really say about making a cake from a box. Its simple, the directions are on the box, and there's very little chance of messing it up. So instead of a recipe for a cake, I'm giving you a tip I've found through the lovely Amanda at i am baker: How to make a level cake.

Like Amanda, I tore up an old ratty towel. I wasn't going to spend all kinds of money I don't have on something I could make at home. All you do, is cut two (if you're using two pans) 1 - 2 inch strip off of an old towel. Wet them, but make sure they're not soaking wet, and tie them around your pans. Put them in the oven and you're done.



See don't they look pretty and flat? They were great! And they came away from the pan so easily. This, was the best cake I have ever made. Then again, I may be biased. BirdDaddy didn't seem to mind. He was happy with his cake. Now, if only he would have allowed us to sing 'Happy Birthday' to him.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment